Depending on your condition and symptoms, there are several experts in the field of otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat care) who excel at providing care for your specific needs.
In some cases, an expert other than a general ENT might be called in to offer advice, perform surgery or explore other options for treating your condition. In the case of conditions related to the ear, head and neck and skull base, you might be referred to a neurotologist.
What Neurotologists Treat
Neurotologists treat any condition related to disorders of the head, neck and skull base, though with more of an emphasis on complex ear diseases and conditions. This includes:
- Skull base tumors and surgery
- Facial nerve disorders
- Vestibular Schwannomas
- Chronic ear disease
- Aural atresia
- Complex ear disease
- Hearing loss that could be improved with an implantable hearing device
- Tumors in or near your ear
- Need for a revision ear surgery
- Recurrent or chronic ear infections
- Meniere’s disease
Doctors who become neurotologists often take on two additional years of fellowship training. Neurotologists also often partner with other physicians and specialists when a multidisciplinary care team is needed.
Should You See a Neurotologist?
This screener should give you more of an idea as to whether you need to schedule an appointment with a neurotologist:
- Have you noticed new and recurring pain near your ear, head or neck that won’t subside?
- Have you noticed any new changes within your hearing or suspect you have hearing loss that is not age-related?
- Have you experienced numbness, tingling or pain in a specific area of your face?
- Have traditional hearing aids fallen short in treating your hearing loss?
If you answered “yes” to any these questions, you should schedule an appointment with a neurotologist as soon as possible.
We can help you manage any ear pain, discomfort or symptoms from balance disorders. Our specialists at South Valley Ear, Nose & Throat are just a phone call away and ready to treat you with compassionate care.
Call South Valley Ear Nose & Throat at (801) 566-8304 for more information or to schedule an appointment.